What is Chemistry ?
Objectives of the subject
The purpose of science education is to enable students to gain learning experience through understanding and applying the scientific process of scientific concepts and principles, and to understand the impact of the development of science and technology. This experience will lay the foundation for students to make informed judgments based on scientific evidence, further develop in the field of science and technology, and become lifelong learners of science and technology.
Specific Objectives in current academic year
- Enhance e-learning and improve teaching effectiveness.
- Strengthen the professional development of teachers and establish a learning team.
- Based on the five core values of Catholic Education, cultivate students' perseverance and help them to plan positive lives.
- Arrange additional courses to help S6 students prepare for the public exam and improve their DSE results.
- Enhance students' skills in preparing “one page notes” so that students can complete the review in a short time.
Fung Tak Chuen (Panel Head)，Choy Wing Hong and Li Ying Man (Lab Tech)。
Includes compulsory and elective parts.
- Planet earth
- Microscopic world I
- Acids and bases
- Fossil fuels and carbon compounds
- Microscopic world II
- Redox reactions, chemical
- Industrial chemistry cells and electrolysis
- Chemical reactions and energy
- Rate of reaction
- Chemical equilibrium
- Chemistry of carbon compounds
- Patterns in the chemical world
- Analytical chemistry
- Experimental Activities - Chemistry is a major science. Teachers would arrange experimental activities for students, so as to increase students' interest and assist them in understanding relevant scientific concepts and principles.
- Australian National Chemistry Quiz - The school arranges students to participate in the “Australian National Chemistry Quiz”each year. The quiz is an international scale competition with a history of more than 20 years. Each year, there are more than 120,000 students from 15 countries and regions participating in the competition.
- Secondary School Mathematics and Science Competition - The school arranges students to participate in the " Secondary School Mathematics and Science Competition” hosted by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University every year, allowing students to have more experience in external competitions.
- Mock Exams – In order to help students prepare for the public examinations, the school encourages students to participate in mock exams organized by non-profit organizations such as the Hong Kong Association for Science and Mathematics Education.